22 Mar March Session Meeting Report
from Pastor Michelle
This month’s meeting consisted of two main parts: overseeing the planning of Calvary’s 75th anniversary events and discussion of the pastoral transition. Michael Volpe, co-chair of COM’s Transition Team, joined us via Zoom for the latter conversation.
Details of note for 75th Anniversary:
- A 75th Anniversary Special Fund was approved for donations to offset the costs associated with this event.
- A “Volunteer Sign-Up” sheet listing specific needs and jobs will be posted in the e-letter and included in the Sunday bulletin beginning the week of March 20. Look for opportunities to serve by sprucing up the building and grounds, decorating the Fellowship Hall, setting up tables and chairs, planning children’s activities, operating a popcorn machine, and much more!
- Set-up of the Fellowship Hall will take place on Saturday, May 6.
- Special worship events: Special music will be provided by the choir and a bagpiper will play before and during worship. Rev. Henry Brinton will be preaching. Communion will be served.
- Red Wagon Sunday: non-perishable food donations for United Communities will support our neighbors.
- A potluck will be served in the Fellowship Hall after worship, with a dessert tent and children’s activities set up outside.
- The School Street Ramblers will provide music after lunch.
Pastoral Transition Process:
- A called congregational meeting to vote on dissolving the pastoral relationship is tentatively scheduled for April 23 following worship, pending COM approval.
- A new “Jump Start” program has been adopted by the presbytery to assist a church in writing the Church Ministry Form (MIF). This expedites the transition process by approx. 6 months.
- The MIF seeks to accomplish two goals: to give a picture of who Calvary is as a church (values, priorities, sense of call, etc) and to describe the kind of pastor the church is seeking (desired skills, specifics of the position, etc.) Once completed and approved by Session, the MIF is posted on the PC(USA)’s Church Leadership Connection as well as other job posting sites.
- Once a PNC (Pastor Nominating Committee) is elected, the process of calling a new pastor remains strictly confidential among the members of the PNC until a candidate is presented to the congregation.
- Thanks be to God, the elevator is finally fixed!
- Financials: February receipts were $22, 252 and expenses were $23,827 resulting in a net loss of $1575. YTD, the net loss is $8273.
- Children’s Ministry: Rachel Jelsma is overseeing a sign-up list of adult volunteers to assist with Sunday school. Thank you, Rachel! And thank you, Pastor Carrie, for standing in the gap with us through May! We are working diligently to hire a permanent Lead Teacher. Help us spread the word!
- Holy Week schedule—see the complete schedule listed in the e-letter and posted on the bulletin board.
- Due to Holy Week, the April Session meeting will take place on April 15.
Obviously, it is a busy and exciting time in the life of our church! Thank you for your prayers, support, and encouragement as we navigate the many events and changes ahead of us.
Yours for the Kingdom,